Gravity pirates downhill mountain biking
PRIVATE SITE! Log in required.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PRIVATE SITE! Log in required.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gallery

Rock "N" Roll GOLD CHAIN LUBE aka. CRAP Empty
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» GP Pedals *friends pricing
by SeanC Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:47 pm

» LARGE Specialized SX Trail **SOLD**
by SeanC Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:43 pm

» 2013 Specialized Demo 8 - Large
by 420 Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:27 pm

» 2013 SantaCruz V-10 Carbon Enve
by rossepickles Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:34 pm

» Cleanin out the Garage.. Forks, Kids/Grom stuff,DH
by dajake22 Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:40 pm

» 2013 Fox 40 RC2, great condition
by dft Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:31 am

» Help me decide what brakes to get! Need your help!
by FOUL HABITS Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:33 pm

» snow summit 2017
by mxwhitey Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:09 pm

» 2013 specialized enduro and stumpjumper FSR med.
by MagicMac Thu May 18, 2017 8:44 am

» 2013 Demo 8 custom build
by Lastpikd Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:38 am

» Banshee Scream/Chaparral/ w/parts
by no flow Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:29 am

» Marin Quake w/ DVO Diamond - $1200
by idoeverything Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:07 pm

» 2014 Transition TR450 size M $3100
by boneyard Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:20 pm

» Serfas Hardshell Bike Box
by 808Rippaz Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:26 am

» $$$$ The good ass deal thread! $$$$
by sean 601 Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:32 pm

» FREE SHIT MUDAFUKAZ...aka 'pay-it-forward' thread
by sean 601 Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:54 pm

» Whistler prices set to inflate...
by Mint Sauce Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:06 pm

» Whistler vs. Coast Gravity Park
by Mint Sauce Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:02 am

» 2016 Gravity Card
by SeanC Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:19 am

» 2014 Session 88 Full DVO and Profile Hubs
by 808Rippaz Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:26 am

» Rockshox Lyrik RC2DH
by Lastpikd Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:46 am

» Six Six One Rage Elbow Pads Size:LG
by darrenregina Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:28 am

» Grand Targhee Bike Park
by darrenregina Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:59 am

» 2015 Devinci Spartan Carbon Complete 650B 1x11 DVO
by VRvento Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:32 am

» Capns Sleds ON THE BLOCK
by Cap'n Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:41 pm

» Raceface Tailgate Pad $70
by m0to Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:17 pm

» Magic Mary 27.5 Tires
by Trouble Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:23 am

» Looking for a 20mm axle 26" front wheel
by Mint Sauce Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:17 am

» 2013 Session 88 frame 26 BRAND NEW
by 808Rippaz Tue May 31, 2016 3:00 pm

» 2015 Session 8 Park 26 BRAND NEW
by 808Rippaz Tue May 31, 2016 2:55 pm

Top posters
Cap'n (13201)
Rock "N" Roll GOLD CHAIN LUBE aka. CRAP I_vote_lcapRock "N" Roll GOLD CHAIN LUBE aka. CRAP I_voting_barRock "N" Roll GOLD CHAIN LUBE aka. CRAP I_vote_rcap 
2gungho (5132)
Rock "N" Roll GOLD CHAIN LUBE aka. CRAP I_vote_lcapRock "N" Roll GOLD CHAIN LUBE aka. CRAP I_voting_barRock "N" Roll GOLD CHAIN LUBE aka. CRAP I_vote_rcap 
Mint Sauce (4286)
ejack (3660)
badkittyjing (2600)
BMeX (2500)
jd"MF"grimes (2274)
MagicMac (2212)
chuk2rs (2121)
HinkDog411 (2058)

Top posting users this week
No user

Rock "N" Roll GOLD CHAIN LUBE aka. CRAP

+7
throttlepimpin
Mudd
COLIN M
Bryguy17
Cap'n
BusterB
jd"MF"grimes
11 posters

Go down

Rock "N" Roll GOLD CHAIN LUBE aka. CRAP Empty Rock "N" Roll GOLD CHAIN LUBE aka. CRAP

Post by jd"MF"grimes Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:04 am

Rock "N" Roll GOLD CHAIN LUBE is JUNK in my opinion......I have seen many people use this chain lube and heard good things....but in my experience with this product...it SUCKS!
I have 2 bottles of this overpriced lube that I , of course keep in the garage. Well apparently if Rock "N" Roll lube gets cold, it is ruined. The bottle does say RNR works GREAT in cold weather but should be
applied in an warm environment Do not store below 40º or above 120º

My garage is not heated and it is where I store all of my motorcycle, automotive and any other harsh chemical products. ALL of my chemical products EXCEPT Rock "N" Roll lube are fine. I live in the Valley so NO my RNR did not freeze.
I grabbed a bottle of the chain lube and noticed the it turned into a white, solid mass inside the bottle.....so I was like damn and I grabbed the second bottle of Rock "N" Roll lube I had...SAME thing! Now I know that this stuff settles and you have to shake it up....but this was not the case this time. The lube had turned to 99.9% solid. I shook and shook up the lube and it did turn back into liquid form....BUT it was not the same. It was liquid with alot of flake floating around. I decided that I would store the bottles inside of the house and let it warm up and see what happens....Well after 2 days in the house and the chain lube now at a balmy 75º degrees I decided to try to lube my bike chains....I grabb the bottles of Rock "N" Roll and they are both, again, completely solid....WTF...SO I decide to shake, shake, shake the lube and give it a try. MISTAKE!!!! the lube kept clogging as I tried to squirt it on the chain....clog...clog...clog.....FUCK!!!! anyway I started to notice alot of whits waxy build up on the chain and on the ground under the bike. The lube had completely gummed up my chain, sprockets, and derailer!!!! The bottle says "Apply stream of lube. Do not drip the lube on like you would oil. This is not oil! Get the chain really wet, this stuff cleans and lubes all in one"
Well IT DID NOT CLEAN...it gummed everything up!!!!!!
Now I am assuming that in the perfect temperature range that this chain lube is good or maybe even great. Again the bottle does say RNR works GREAT in cold weather but should be applied in an warm environment Do not store below 40º or above 120º
I can not believe that dozens of my other chemical products including other motorcycle and bicycle chain lubes are completely fine but this expensive bottle of bicycle chain lube is ruined form cooler (not freezing) temperatures . I do not have the time to babysit some diva bicycle chain lube to ensure it is at the perfect temperatures at all times.
In conclusion RNR did not work for me it is VERY temperature sensitive, overpriced and did not do the job I bought it for. I will not buy RNR again and I will not suggest it as a suitable chain lube to anyone. I am sure that some of you like or love this product, but in my experience it SUCKED!

RNR sold after being stored in garage at around 50º then in the house at 70º
[img]Rock "N" Roll GOLD CHAIN LUBE aka. CRAP Img_0010[/img]
[img]Rock "N" Roll GOLD CHAIN LUBE aka. CRAP Img_0011[/img]

RNR solid form
[img]Rock "N" Roll GOLD CHAIN LUBE aka. CRAP Img_0012[/img]

WAX residue left on ground from lubing 1 chain
[img]Rock "N" Roll GOLD CHAIN LUBE aka. CRAP Img_0013[/img]

company photo
[img]Rock "N" Roll GOLD CHAIN LUBE aka. CRAP Gold_m10[/img]

Last edited by jdgrimes on Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add photos)
jd
jd"MF"grimes
Pirate King
Pirate King

http://www.jdgrimes.com

Back to top Go down

Rock "N" Roll GOLD CHAIN LUBE aka. CRAP Empty Re: Rock "N" Roll GOLD CHAIN LUBE aka. CRAP

Post by BusterB Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:20 am

You needed to store it up your ass.. 98*... geeesh.. can you ever follow the directions??

:lol!:
BusterB
BusterB
1st Mate
1st Mate

Back to top Go down

Rock "N" Roll GOLD CHAIN LUBE aka. CRAP Empty Re: Rock "N" Roll GOLD CHAIN LUBE aka. CRAP

Post by jd"MF"grimes Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:41 am

busterb wrote:You needed to store it up your ass.. 98*... geeesh.. can you ever follow the directions??

:lol!:

....feel free to chime in when you when you have a bike again...how long has it been 3 months????? I think you are officially a NEW-B again scratch...Maybe STR is a better site for your attitude and riding level ...... :lol!:

Last edited by jdgrimes on Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:48 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : cause I wanted to)
jd
jd"MF"grimes
Pirate King
Pirate King

Back to top Go down

Post by BusterB Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:54 am

Funny how I still end up riding more then you.. HA!
BusterB
BusterB
1st Mate
1st Mate

Back to top Go down

Post by jd"MF"grimes Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:11 pm

Rock "N" Roll chain lube still sucks
jd
jd"MF"grimes
Pirate King
Pirate King

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'n Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:21 pm

Ok....who's the smart ass who replaced his lube with butter? Awesome prank. Twisted Evil

I had a bottle turn to crappy in NC. But I assumed that was because we had days below 10 degees...and I stored it in my truck. No excuse for that in SoCal.
Cap'n
Cap'n
habitual line stepper
habitual line stepper

http://www.gravitycycleworks.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryguy17 Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:17 pm

yea, I've never had a problem using it myself, in almost 2 years. that includes quite a few chilly mornings, overnight stays in the car at mammoth, and one particularly cold morning in santa cruz (36 when we left...)

i dont get that wax crap on my floor either, but i do put a cloth under where I'm applying it. still some gets launched while i'm cleaning it.

sucks that happened though...
Bryguy17
Bryguy17
Sword Sharpener
Sword Sharpener

Back to top Go down

Post by BusterB Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:28 pm

Capn Crunch wrote:Ok....who's the smart ass who replaced his lube with butter? Awesome prank. Twisted Evil

dam! I should have used clarified butter! next time...
BusterB
BusterB
1st Mate
1st Mate

Back to top Go down

Post by COLIN M Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:52 pm

Tri flow for me works all the time get some. 🎅
COLIN M
COLIN M
Terror of the High Seas
Terror of the High Seas

Back to top Go down

Post by Mudd Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:49 pm

Contact the factory and complain!
Mudd
Mudd
Helmsman
Helmsman

Back to top Go down

Post by throttlepimpin Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:48 pm

COLIN M wrote:Tri flow for me works all the time get some. 🎅

Tri Flow seems to attract a lot of dirt.

I've been using the Blue stuff with some success.
throttlepimpin
throttlepimpin
Boatswain's Mate
Boatswain's Mate

Back to top Go down

Post by cableguy Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:04 pm

busterb wrote:
Capn Crunch wrote:Ok....who's the smart ass who replaced his lube with butter? Awesome prank. Twisted Evil

dam! I should have used clarified butter! next time...

If it was only butter. Dat, stop using JD's bottle as your s*toy Twisted Evil

PS Triflow lubes well but only lasts 1/2 day at Northstar for me
cableguy
cableguy
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Drake Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:48 pm

Motorcycle chain lubes are far superior. As a tech I have never been a huge fan of rock and roll. Maxima

Drake
Sword Sharpener
Sword Sharpener

http://Isotuned.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:06 pm

I have used Rock n Roll gold for over a year and I think it works well. Much better than some of the others I have tried. It lasts longer before the chain starts getting crunchy and keeps the chain pretty clean.

I have also seen it gunk up when it gets cold...usually if it gets under 40 degrees. Dosen't happen too much here though.

I used to use tri flow, but as a previous poster said...it atracts a lot of dust.

Also, I found the best place to get this...if you are interested...is at Jenson USA. About 20.00 bucks for a large container and smaller refillable bottle.

Last edited by Jeepdude on Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added comments)

Back to top Go down

Post by Denmother Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:50 pm

jdgrimes wrote:Rock "N" Roll GOLD CHAIN LUBE is JUNK in my opinion......I have seen many people use this chain lube and heard good things....but in my experience with this product...it SUCKS!

Don't know if this applies to you but I found the info on STR:

I have been using Rock N Roll Gold chain lube for a few years now and really liked it. But I recently purchased a bottle The Path and it was terrible. Really thick and coagulated. I figured I must have just got a bad bottle, so I ordered another big bottle online. Same deal.

I finally got around to calling Rock N Roll directly, and they immediately knew what I was calling about. They apparently had some manufacturing problem that led to a bad batch. Anyway, they are replacing my bottles with new ones.

So, if any of you have had the same problem, contact Rock N Roll.
Denmother
Denmother
Hijacker
Hijacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Mint Sauce Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:36 pm

I blame Mike Lord for anything thick & coagulated.

If a product doesn't do its job, get your money back & get some White Lightening wax based lube. Great stuff!
Mint Sauce
Mint Sauce
GPR Team Rider
GPR Team Rider

http://www.linkedin.com/in/adamlday/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down