Gravity pirates downhill mountain biking
PRIVATE SITE! Log in required.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PRIVATE SITE! Log in required.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gallery

Snow Summit reaching out - Page 2 Empty
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» GP Pedals *friends pricing
by SeanC Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:47 pm

» LARGE Specialized SX Trail **SOLD**
by SeanC Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:43 pm

» 2013 Specialized Demo 8 - Large
by 420 Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:27 pm

» 2013 SantaCruz V-10 Carbon Enve
by rossepickles Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:34 pm

» Cleanin out the Garage.. Forks, Kids/Grom stuff,DH
by dajake22 Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:40 pm

» 2013 Fox 40 RC2, great condition
by dft Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:31 am

» Help me decide what brakes to get! Need your help!
by FOUL HABITS Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:33 pm

» snow summit 2017
by mxwhitey Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:09 pm

» 2013 specialized enduro and stumpjumper FSR med.
by MagicMac Thu May 18, 2017 8:44 am

» 2013 Demo 8 custom build
by Lastpikd Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:38 am

» Banshee Scream/Chaparral/ w/parts
by no flow Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:29 am

» Marin Quake w/ DVO Diamond - $1200
by idoeverything Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:07 pm

» 2014 Transition TR450 size M $3100
by boneyard Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:20 pm

» Serfas Hardshell Bike Box
by 808Rippaz Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:26 am

» $$$$ The good ass deal thread! $$$$
by sean 601 Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:32 pm

» FREE SHIT MUDAFUKAZ...aka 'pay-it-forward' thread
by sean 601 Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:54 pm

» Whistler prices set to inflate...
by Mint Sauce Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:06 pm

» Whistler vs. Coast Gravity Park
by Mint Sauce Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:02 am

» 2016 Gravity Card
by SeanC Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:19 am

» 2014 Session 88 Full DVO and Profile Hubs
by 808Rippaz Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:26 am

» Rockshox Lyrik RC2DH
by Lastpikd Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:46 am

» Six Six One Rage Elbow Pads Size:LG
by darrenregina Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:28 am

» Grand Targhee Bike Park
by darrenregina Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:59 am

» 2015 Devinci Spartan Carbon Complete 650B 1x11 DVO
by VRvento Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:32 am

» Capns Sleds ON THE BLOCK
by Cap'n Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:41 pm

» Raceface Tailgate Pad $70
by m0to Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:17 pm

» Magic Mary 27.5 Tires
by Trouble Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:23 am

» Looking for a 20mm axle 26" front wheel
by Mint Sauce Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:17 am

» 2013 Session 88 frame 26 BRAND NEW
by 808Rippaz Tue May 31, 2016 3:00 pm

» 2015 Session 8 Park 26 BRAND NEW
by 808Rippaz Tue May 31, 2016 2:55 pm

Top posters
Cap'n (13201)
Snow Summit reaching out - Page 2 I_vote_lcapSnow Summit reaching out - Page 2 I_voting_barSnow Summit reaching out - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 
2gungho (5132)
Snow Summit reaching out - Page 2 I_vote_lcapSnow Summit reaching out - Page 2 I_voting_barSnow Summit reaching out - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 
Mint Sauce (4286)
ejack (3660)
badkittyjing (2600)
BMeX (2500)
jd"MF"grimes (2274)
MagicMac (2212)
chuk2rs (2121)
HinkDog411 (2058)

Top posting users this week
No user

Snow Summit reaching out

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Snow Summit reaching out - Page 2 Empty Snow Summit reaching out

First, a little history for those who don't know.  The past 14 years there has been a LOT of tension between the DH world and Snow Summit.  Internet forums everywhere have been full of angry comments.  Obviously this was due to Summits banning of DH riders from the mountain by banning their bikes.  The rift is still deep.  But I knew that there were some forward thinkers in management.  So I reached out in an attempt to mend fences a little...and promote something positive between DH riders and Summit.  Lift operations manager Pat and I put together a "GP day" for opening day of 2012.  Discounted passes for members, no bike restrictions, party in the parking lot...all good stuff!  Our forum started blowing up with positive and hopeful comments from DH riders toward Summit.  That hadn't been seen in more than a decade!  

Fast forward to 2013.  The NEW park opens, and DH riders flock from all over SoCal.  Since  GP is the largest DH entity in the southwest, management looked to the public posts on GP to gauge how the park is being accepted.  Posts ranged from "finally...can't wait to see it develop!"..to "newbs all over the place, trails are lame, don't waste your money."  Obviously riders speak their mind on the internet.  But then there were personal attacks.  One(not all) of the lift operators is...not so friendly toward downhillers.  Since GP is such a large presence, we were an easy target for his negative personal comments.  What he didn't understand is that most of our members don't have jerseys.  There are times when half the lift line is GP members.  So when he thought he was talking behind the groups back, members were listening.  I started receiving personal messages from members asking why Summit hates GP members.  This led to members speaking out, and personally attacking the liftie on Facebook, and forums including GP.  Summit's response was anger.  Maybe because they didn't know the back story. I tried my best to intervene, but nobody at Summit wanted to work through it.  My messages and calls  fell on deaf ears.  Probably because they just assumed GP hates Summit.  What's going on?  Is a DH park really turning their backs on the largest DH customer base around? Our efforts to mend fences between DH riders and Summit, devolved into a new fence between Summit and GP.  A high school level fight over "he said, he said."  Now even I start posting negative comments about management out of my frustration that they won't even talk to me to so we can get this thing back on track.  steering trouble 

2014 is a new season.  I received a call from Chris Riddle at Summit today.  He saw another one of my emails looking to work with Snow Summit, and decided it was time to chat.  We talked about negative comments by myself and others toward Summit.  And from Summit toward members.  Most importantly...we were talking.  99% of GP is invisible to non members.  So Chris and others haven't seen any of the positive posts about ride days at Summit on this forum.  The few publicly viewable threads give the impression that "GP hates Summit."  Obviously the issue is a lot more complex that that if you read the first 2 paragraphs.  We agree that it's in both our best interest to work together.  Could we be getting back on track?  Cooler heads prevailing?  I hope so!  Hair pulling and whining are best left on the playground where they belong.  Chris seemed genuinely interested in getting back on track to where we were in 2012.  Let's stop and think about the positive.  I think it's safe to say we are all pretty happy that the "no DH bike/riders" rule is gone even if that will never be forgotten.  And of course we are all ecstatic that we have a bike park in SoCal.  Those are positive moves that all GP members support.  For their part, Summit is working on a couple promotions available for GP.  Including the very important Gravity Card possibly!  For our part, let's wash away the negative feelings from last year, and see if we can be an ally in Summits bike park plan that we WANT to succeed.  Let's work with Summit this season like we started doing 2 years ago.  If you have any negative experience with an employee, let's bring it straight to Summit management so it can actually be solved.  Honestly...if there is anyone at Summit who does NOT want this DH park to work, they would LOVE to see GP fighting with Summit.  Don't give them that satisfaction.  Don't get me wrong...speak your mind about the trails, and constructive ideas for improvement.  That's all useful stuff.  New year, new perspective....new conversation started with Snow Summit.  Good stuff!

Last edited by Cap'n on Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
Cap'n
Cap'n
habitual line stepper
habitual line stepper

http://www.gravitycycleworks.com

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Snow Summit reaching out :: Comments

Cap'n

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:02 pm by Cap'n

Update from Summit to GP:

"Snow Summit still has some Anytime Season passes available. I’m sure the passes would have been sold out if we were not closed last weekend due to snow.  The concern is on the weekends when the lift lines are long and due to our limited amount of trails, we have a cap on how many Anytime passes are sold.  This is to ensure our guests have the best time possible at our resort.  If we were to over-sell season passes, the result would be longer lift lines and overcrowded trails.  Packing too many people onto our trails is not only a time inconvenience for our guests, but is also a safety issue. 

The good news is that we have a midweek pass available now for $199. The pass is available Monday-Friday, non-holiday. (holiday dates: 5/26, 7/4 & 9/). I just wanted to keep you posted."

Back to top Go down

dirtchurner

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:19 pm by dirtchurner

I see absolutely everything positive from Snow Summit opening its lifts to us. After 9 tours between Iraq, Afghanistan and the horn of Africa, I'll pay little if no mind to any lift operator that expresses their disdain for my genealogy, the style of my helmet and color of my bike, because they are having their version of a bad day. I would and will just smile at them and say joyfully "Thank you" as they unload my rig from the lift at the top end allowing me my own bit of "forget all that is bad about this world therapy".

Why?

Snow Summit has turned the page and is open to us freeriders and DHers now!

Its closer than Mammoth and and Tahoe. It saves gas and time. The trails actually do have good features even if "its not whistler epic dude"! They are fun and can challenge your skill set if you push your self. It puts money in the local economy. The people in Big Bear are actually nice and good people. The park is open longer than Whistler or Silver Star.

Snow Summit being 2 hours op the road is ideal for my kind of therapy. Especially when local trails in SO- Cal are being torn down and or closed from us more and more in the name of "ferry shrimp", "Sage Scrub", endangered habitats or other progressive agenda rationales.

Life is so short!

"Ride fast, jump often, drink good beer, repeat!"

V/R a 50yr old retired Navy pirate

Back to top Go down

Denmother

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:53 pm by Denmother

We love Summit and have our Season Passes. Headed out again on Sunday!

Steve, what can we do to help?

Back to top Go down

grenader26

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:14 pm by grenader26

I still need to go check it out. Next time I am down

Back to top Go down

jewpowered

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:53 pm by jewpowered

Considering the trails are only a year old, we have seen unrivaled improvement, I cant say the same from other parks.

Back to top Go down

grenader26

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:41 pm by grenader26

Oh snap bike park off!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

bombertodd

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:33 pm by bombertodd

The improvements at Snow Summit are great. It's a work in progress but I'm happy each week I go back to see new features, sections, and other upgrades. They seem to be doing a good job at listening to the riders. Also the employees seem to be very friendly and good at their job. Good job SS!

I'm glad I got another season pass this year.

Back to top Go down

COLIN M

Post Thu May 01, 2014 4:56 am by COLIN M

Hey Brian, Mammoth is great compared to Beginner Bear! Nothing really hard at bear yet! Technoroc and Chainsmoke are fun at Mammoth! I need to get a scare here and there! Never got that at Bear yet! Mt. Waterman is also great IMO.

Back to top Go down

2gungho

Post Fri May 02, 2014 9:01 am by 2gungho

Ooohrah Dirtchurner!!

Back to top Go down

perfektus

Post Sun May 04, 2014 10:30 am by perfektus

Watch out for trucks at Snow Summit!

Back to top Go down

mxwhitey

Post Sun May 04, 2014 10:42 am by mxwhitey

Was that an employee of summit? Or just a lost douche bag?

Back to top Go down

perfektus

Post Sun May 04, 2014 11:30 am by perfektus

Not sure, but if he was an employee he should know better than to stop at that junction.

Back to top Go down

mxwhitey

Post Sun May 04, 2014 1:49 pm by mxwhitey

Duuuuuuum!

Back to top Go down

mxwhitey

Post Sun May 04, 2014 1:50 pm by mxwhitey

That can be a pretty fast spot to if ya have to slow don in a hurry.

Back to top Go down

vcobi4

Post Sun May 04, 2014 5:42 pm by vcobi4

Have been hearing nothing but good things about Summit this year... Will be making a trip down there in the next two weeks to check it out and get some riding in before we head out to Whistler in June! Can't wait!

Back to top Go down

moocher

Post Sun May 04, 2014 9:46 pm by moocher

Dang!

Back to top Go down

perfektus

Post Mon May 05, 2014 12:41 pm by perfektus

Per FB reply, Snow Summit said they alerted security so that truck's probly not one of theirs

Back to top Go down

mxwhitey

Post Mon May 05, 2014 1:16 pm by mxwhitey

Good to know. Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2