Gravity pirates downhill mountain biking
PRIVATE SITE! Log in required.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PRIVATE SITE! Log in required.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gallery

Snow Summit reaching out Empty
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» GP Pedals *friends pricing
by SeanC Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:47 pm

» LARGE Specialized SX Trail **SOLD**
by SeanC Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:43 pm

» 2013 Specialized Demo 8 - Large
by 420 Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:27 pm

» 2013 SantaCruz V-10 Carbon Enve
by rossepickles Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:34 pm

» Cleanin out the Garage.. Forks, Kids/Grom stuff,DH
by dajake22 Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:40 pm

» 2013 Fox 40 RC2, great condition
by dft Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:31 am

» Help me decide what brakes to get! Need your help!
by FOUL HABITS Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:33 pm

» snow summit 2017
by mxwhitey Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:09 pm

» 2013 specialized enduro and stumpjumper FSR med.
by MagicMac Thu May 18, 2017 8:44 am

» 2013 Demo 8 custom build
by Lastpikd Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:38 am

» Banshee Scream/Chaparral/ w/parts
by no flow Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:29 am

» Marin Quake w/ DVO Diamond - $1200
by idoeverything Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:07 pm

» 2014 Transition TR450 size M $3100
by boneyard Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:20 pm

» Serfas Hardshell Bike Box
by 808Rippaz Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:26 am

» $$$$ The good ass deal thread! $$$$
by sean 601 Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:32 pm

» FREE SHIT MUDAFUKAZ...aka 'pay-it-forward' thread
by sean 601 Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:54 pm

» Whistler prices set to inflate...
by Mint Sauce Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:06 pm

» Whistler vs. Coast Gravity Park
by Mint Sauce Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:02 am

» 2016 Gravity Card
by SeanC Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:19 am

» 2014 Session 88 Full DVO and Profile Hubs
by 808Rippaz Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:26 am

» Rockshox Lyrik RC2DH
by Lastpikd Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:46 am

» Six Six One Rage Elbow Pads Size:LG
by darrenregina Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:28 am

» Grand Targhee Bike Park
by darrenregina Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:59 am

» 2015 Devinci Spartan Carbon Complete 650B 1x11 DVO
by VRvento Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:32 am

» Capns Sleds ON THE BLOCK
by Cap'n Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:41 pm

» Raceface Tailgate Pad $70
by m0to Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:17 pm

» Magic Mary 27.5 Tires
by Trouble Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:23 am

» Looking for a 20mm axle 26" front wheel
by Mint Sauce Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:17 am

» 2013 Session 88 frame 26 BRAND NEW
by 808Rippaz Tue May 31, 2016 3:00 pm

» 2015 Session 8 Park 26 BRAND NEW
by 808Rippaz Tue May 31, 2016 2:55 pm

Top posters
Cap'n (13201)
Snow Summit reaching out I_vote_lcapSnow Summit reaching out I_voting_barSnow Summit reaching out I_vote_rcap 
2gungho (5132)
Snow Summit reaching out I_vote_lcapSnow Summit reaching out I_voting_barSnow Summit reaching out I_vote_rcap 
Mint Sauce (4286)
ejack (3660)
badkittyjing (2600)
BMeX (2500)
jd"MF"grimes (2274)
MagicMac (2212)
chuk2rs (2121)
HinkDog411 (2058)

Top posting users this week
No user

Snow Summit reaching out

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Snow Summit reaching out Empty Snow Summit reaching out

First, a little history for those who don't know.  The past 14 years there has been a LOT of tension between the DH world and Snow Summit.  Internet forums everywhere have been full of angry comments.  Obviously this was due to Summits banning of DH riders from the mountain by banning their bikes.  The rift is still deep.  But I knew that there were some forward thinkers in management.  So I reached out in an attempt to mend fences a little...and promote something positive between DH riders and Summit.  Lift operations manager Pat and I put together a "GP day" for opening day of 2012.  Discounted passes for members, no bike restrictions, party in the parking lot...all good stuff!  Our forum started blowing up with positive and hopeful comments from DH riders toward Summit.  That hadn't been seen in more than a decade!  

Fast forward to 2013.  The NEW park opens, and DH riders flock from all over SoCal.  Since  GP is the largest DH entity in the southwest, management looked to the public posts on GP to gauge how the park is being accepted.  Posts ranged from "finally...can't wait to see it develop!"..to "newbs all over the place, trails are lame, don't waste your money."  Obviously riders speak their mind on the internet.  But then there were personal attacks.  One(not all) of the lift operators is...not so friendly toward downhillers.  Since GP is such a large presence, we were an easy target for his negative personal comments.  What he didn't understand is that most of our members don't have jerseys.  There are times when half the lift line is GP members.  So when he thought he was talking behind the groups back, members were listening.  I started receiving personal messages from members asking why Summit hates GP members.  This led to members speaking out, and personally attacking the liftie on Facebook, and forums including GP.  Summit's response was anger.  Maybe because they didn't know the back story. I tried my best to intervene, but nobody at Summit wanted to work through it.  My messages and calls  fell on deaf ears.  Probably because they just assumed GP hates Summit.  What's going on?  Is a DH park really turning their backs on the largest DH customer base around? Our efforts to mend fences between DH riders and Summit, devolved into a new fence between Summit and GP.  A high school level fight over "he said, he said."  Now even I start posting negative comments about management out of my frustration that they won't even talk to me to so we can get this thing back on track.  steering trouble 

2014 is a new season.  I received a call from Chris Riddle at Summit today.  He saw another one of my emails looking to work with Snow Summit, and decided it was time to chat.  We talked about negative comments by myself and others toward Summit.  And from Summit toward members.  Most importantly...we were talking.  99% of GP is invisible to non members.  So Chris and others haven't seen any of the positive posts about ride days at Summit on this forum.  The few publicly viewable threads give the impression that "GP hates Summit."  Obviously the issue is a lot more complex that that if you read the first 2 paragraphs.  We agree that it's in both our best interest to work together.  Could we be getting back on track?  Cooler heads prevailing?  I hope so!  Hair pulling and whining are best left on the playground where they belong.  Chris seemed genuinely interested in getting back on track to where we were in 2012.  Let's stop and think about the positive.  I think it's safe to say we are all pretty happy that the "no DH bike/riders" rule is gone even if that will never be forgotten.  And of course we are all ecstatic that we have a bike park in SoCal.  Those are positive moves that all GP members support.  For their part, Summit is working on a couple promotions available for GP.  Including the very important Gravity Card possibly!  For our part, let's wash away the negative feelings from last year, and see if we can be an ally in Summits bike park plan that we WANT to succeed.  Let's work with Summit this season like we started doing 2 years ago.  If you have any negative experience with an employee, let's bring it straight to Summit management so it can actually be solved.  Honestly...if there is anyone at Summit who does NOT want this DH park to work, they would LOVE to see GP fighting with Summit.  Don't give them that satisfaction.  Don't get me wrong...speak your mind about the trails, and constructive ideas for improvement.  That's all useful stuff.  New year, new perspective....new conversation started with Snow Summit.  Good stuff!

Last edited by Cap'n on Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
Cap'n
Cap'n
habitual line stepper
habitual line stepper

http://www.gravitycycleworks.com

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Snow Summit reaching out :: Comments

Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:22 pm by 420

Good to hear... most everyone had a great time there last year.  

The internet will be the internet though and people love to speak out of their mind and ass from behind a keyboard.  It is great to hear that Summit is beginning to take that in stride and realize that for all the bad comments there were 10 good ones.  Plus the bad comments are fodder for improvements and a company should always be looking to improve and get more happy customers.

Good job Steve!

Back to top Go down

zman

Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:43 pm by zman

I had fun last year and I'm definitely going back this year
I could see they were putting a effort to improve and that's all I could ask for
Props on mending the fence

Back to top Go down

mxwhitey

Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:13 pm by mxwhitey

Wow! I had no idea this was an issue. I rode all last year and never had a problem with any emplyee. I hope this year is the same. Also lest year was a blast the trails are getting better and better. Cant wait for opening day.

Back to top Go down

Lugo

Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:21 pm by Lugo

Never knew all this was going on.  It's been nothing but good times for me and all my buddies when we go.  They're doing a good job and I look forward to riding there as much as possible this season!

Back to top Go down

jhill

Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:24 pm by jhill

I've heard of the stories but never experienced anything negative in person...also if they on the Gravity Card they will sell themselves!

Back to top Go down

jewpowered

Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:25 pm by jewpowered

i need to get that radio show rolling, im pestering the host in, 3....2.....1

Back to top Go down

jewpowered

Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:40 pm by jewpowered

posted thanks on their face space, check it

Back to top Go down

FOUL HABITS

Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:05 pm by FOUL HABITS

Well im not sure what beef with who or what... but i had a great time and always wear my GP jersey at ss and never had any negativity towards me at all by any of them. I love those trails, yah they aint black diamond or its not whistler or some shit but man it sure beats most of these local spots for me, so im there as much as possible.

I would like to say this though, Out  of all the GPers im sure most like riding summit. And for them to not relies that there is like probably 300 California GP riders they pay to ride and give them economy and sit here and say or start bull shit over a feud between who ever or what ever is kind of stupid. Its almost like paying money and having them say thanks for your money you shit head and spit in my face. We are the customer regardless so they should be like "Oh you dont like GP or you got in a fight with a GP member? You better squash that shit because they help pay your check and they are the customer. period"

But like i said, I lOVE SUMMIT. And im even going to take friends and family there this year so they can also LOVE it.

Back to top Go down

Trogdis Elitas

Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:13 pm by Trogdis Elitas

I second that ^

Back to top Go down

COLIN M

Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:23 pm by COLIN M

I am one of the haters of summit!! They didn't allow tank bikes and turn us away!! Gotta be honest it was not cool and made me bitter for years!! Not anymore!! Like Steve said!! New year and no Big bike restrictions!! Only bikes I ride are tanks!! Plowbikes!! Lol. No more Negative feedback here!! I hope we can work with them and make the place a benefit to all!!

Back to top Go down

Donny l

Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:50 pm by Donny l

Good job Steve always cleaning up after our spilt milk

Back to top Go down

Sasquatch

Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:01 pm by Sasquatch

Steve is the cooler, channeling his inner Swayzee. Nice work as usual Capn.

Back to top Go down

Bollucks

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:34 am by Bollucks

I think that it cool that summit is trying to reach out and perhaps mend some of the old wounds. I really enjoyed the park last year, minus the destruction of my shoulder, I was pretty much there when ever I wasn't at mammoth with 21 trips total. I did have a few problems and since we are trying to lay it all out to hopefully better the park experience this week I'll break it down to two sections; my personal problem with an employee and the trails.

So as mentioned above there were a couple people who did have problems with staff, none have spoke up yet, but I was one of these people. Its not secret that there has been some beef over the years, with one of the members talking trash on one of the lift operators. This lift operator must have really taken this too seriously as he now harbors a grudge as I found out. I was out there with a couple buddies who were non-GP, on this particular day the park was slammed and only one lift was running. The summit staff however were doing an awesome job of loading as many bikes as possible, on the lifts that had two hooks on them they were loading two bikes. I gave the lift operators props for this saying what an awesome job they were doing and how that was a great idea. I was met with, "Not like it matters anyhow, you guys are just going to go on your forums and talk shit any way" I was like whoa dude I was trying to give you props for doing a good job. I was trying to keep calm I was wearing my race jersey so I am not going to get into with someone while repping the team and sponsors. I tried to cool the dude down and was met with more profanities about how GP didn't do shit for anyone and that we were nothing but a bunch of shit talkers. So of course this led to a super weird day, my buddys were like wtf did GP do to summit? It definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.

On to the trails. I loved the trails up there especially westridge and cruiser. They are however in dire need of some signage explaining some of the etiquette of riding the trail. You see it for the snow season all the way up the lift. There were too many people standing on jumps or just after the landing. These people just need to be educated, stand off the trail so you dont create a problem. Hopefully with the addition of a blue trail this summer it will keep some of the more inexperienced riders to trails they are more comfortable on. On the other hand we need to make sure that people dont fucking run people off the trail. Saw it too many times... Dudes just charging up and crowding people who were slower, most of the time causing the people to crash and then yelling at the slower rider.

Anyhow long winded post aside, I cant wait to hit the park this April when it opens. I will most defintely be getting a season pass this year.

Back to top Go down

Joey STRAVA

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:48 am by Joey STRAVA

i love standing on drops!

Back to top Go down

Bollucks

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:55 am by Bollucks

What Blake's back? When did that happen.

Back to top Go down

Joey STRAVA

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:23 am by Joey STRAVA

Who's Blake?

Back to top Go down

zman

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:03 am by zman

got 2 season passes last night  pirat 

Back to top Go down

dirtchurner

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:26 am by dirtchurner

sounds really enduro man!

Back to top Go down

mojoronnie

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:29 pm by mojoronnie

I'm allergic to negative people!! I myself never have a problem anywhere I go because I treat others as I like to be treated. If you don't care for the product summit offers, then don't ride there. Less dicks on the trail is ok by me :)

Back to top Go down

graygooserider

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:30 pm by graygooserider

My experience there was good and bad.
Trails were great. Food was awsome and overall price was ok.
My problem was with staff.
On my first run up I dropped my Oakleys like 10 feet out from the loading dock. I turned and said a dude I dropped my glasses. While picking them up They said well send them up. I waited like a dumb ass up top like 15 mins hitting up every rider asking them if staff gave them my glasses. All looked at me crazy and said no. Now I was pissed . Those glasses went to Iraq and back with my buddie. He let me have them on his return so they ment alot to me.
So I get to the bottom and they say "oh we sent them up". They Point out the dude they gave them to in the line so I go ask him. He said that they never gave him shit. Staff then says oh we put in on the chair. That they must have fell. So here I go like a dumb ass looking under the lift until staff told me I couldn't be there. I then hit management up. They said they had no such report and that they would send someone to look.
So I never got shit back and staff sorta gave me the cold shoulder from then on. I wasted 2 hours of my day looking for my glasses. It was not the experience I expected .

Back to top Go down

mojoronnie

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:50 pm by mojoronnie

graygooserider wrote:My experience there was good and bad.
On my first run up I dropped my Oakleys like 10 feet out from the loading dock. I turned and said a dude I dropped my glasses. While picking them up They said well send them up. I waited like a dumb ass up top like 15 mins hitting up every rider asking them if staff gave them my glasses. All looked at me crazy and said no. Now I was pissed . Those glasses went to Iraq and back with my buddie. He let me have them on his return so they ment alot to me.
So I get to the bottom and they say "oh we sent them up". They Point out the dude they gave them to in the line so I go ask him. He said that they never gave him shit. Staff then says oh we put in on the chair. That they must have fell. So here I go like a dumb ass looking under the lift until staff told me I couldn't be there. I then hit management up. They said they had no such report and that they would send someone to look.
So I never got shit back and staff sorta gave me the cold shoulder from then on. I wasted 2 hours of my day looking for my glasses. It was not the experience I expected .

Nothing cool about that…

Back to top Go down

Lugo

Post Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:45 am by Lugo

graygooserider wrote:My experience there was good and bad.

BIG thumbs down!

Back to top Go down

Post Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:01 am by 420

Sucks to hear graygoose and bullocks.  

Hopefully, this thread is the beginning of the end of those type of issues!  There will always be issues of some kind since we are all human, well most of us anyway, but it appears that Big Bear management is now doing the right thing and getting the DH community involved.  
They know there is big money with us and we are a huge word of mouth community. As long as their prices are reasonable and the trails good, we are also a fiercely loyal group.

I look forward to seeing what they have in store for 2014 and maybe getting a season pass.

Back to top Go down

mxwhitey

Post Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:24 am by mxwhitey

Well said 420

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next